[clue-tech] kerneld is removing my loaded kernel modules!

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Wed May 18 13:34:47 MDT 2005

Hi everyone,

I'm not finding an answer to this question.  I want to load
some modules WITHOUT the autoclean flag.  I want them to STAY
loaded once I load them.

The modules in question are ip_nat_ftp and ip_conntrack_ftp.

Something unloads these important modules automatically from
time to time, and then FTP pass-through stops working.  (I think
it is kerneld/kmod; perhaps restarting iptables unloads them.)

There are several references to how the autoclean flag can be
set (modprobe -k), but not how to ensure that it is NOT set.

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/kmod.txt is monumentally unhelpful.

Does anyone know:

1. How to turn off autoclean for these modules?

 or

2. How to get the kernel/modprobe to load these modules when
they are needed?  For some reason the automatic module loading
isn't working.

This affects several systems, not just one, mainly based around
Red Hat 7.x with 2.4 kernels.

Thanks,
Jim

--