[clue-tech] Missing disk space?

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Mon May 23 23:59:24 MDT 2005

Angelo asked:

> I just noticed that df on a partition does not result in anywhere
> near the same amount of disk space being used reported by du.  Should
> I be worried about something here?

Most likely not.  If you're using ext2/3, the 'mke2fs' command reserves
a certain percentage of the disk for the super-user.  I believe the
default is 5%, but it can be changed with the "-m" option.  What you're
seeing via 'df' probably includes the reserved space, whereas 'du' is
only reporting the size of actual files.

HTH,
Jeff