[clue-tech] Missing disk space?

Chris Tubutis ctubutis at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 18:29:24 MDT 2005

On 24 May, David Anselmi wrote:
> Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>> Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>> /dev/hda6             4.1G   33M  3.9G   1% /home
>
>> angelo at descartes:/home$ du -sh
>> 116K    .
>
> Perhaps df is reporting used blocks and du is reporting total bytes in
> files, or one or the other doesn't account well for space in the tail
> blocks of files.
>
> What you're seeing is typical in a mostly free filesystem.

When this happens in Solaris, the cause is almost always one or more
files that have been manually rm'd yet there are still processes in
memory holding files open. Another poster has already pointed out fuser
and that apparently didn't reveal anything. One way to sure: reboot and
see if the problem is corrected. It sounds Microsoftish, I know, but
it'll definitely answer the possibility of that being the cause.

ct