[clue-tech] apache 1 or 2 ?

Jeff Cann j.cann at isuma.org
Wed May 25 16:19:11 MDT 2005

On Tuesday 24 May 2005 9:45 am, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> I've been looking at apache.org for information on apache 1 and 2, but
> I'm still unsure which one to use.  The reason why I'm unsure is that a
> lot of people seem to still be using apache 1.  Does anyone know what
> the important differences are, or why a lot of people still use 1.3?

Differences between 1.3 and 2.0 -->
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/new_features_2_0.html

Migration from 1.3 to 2.0 --> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/upgrading.html

My understanding is that 1.3 is no longer actively developed, except for bug
and security fixes.

Also, the other big sticking point (in addition to PHP) is that the apache
developers broke the module API in 2.0, which means that 1.3 modules won't
work without code changes.  Much of it has to do with thread safety.  Threads
on UNIX weren't supported by apache.  This initially turned off some people,
but over the past 2-3 years projects like mod_perl and php have come to fully
support it.

I wouldn't use 1.3 for anything unless you have a module that does not have a
2.0 equivalent.  2.0 is the current [production] release of the code.

HTH-
Jeff

--
"Social justice cannot be attained by violence. Violence kills what it intends
to create."

http://isuma.org/