[clue-tech] Presentation on Ubunto/Debian?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon May 30 08:58:00 MDT 2005

On 5/30/05, Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:

> How did you get to the point where you could do them in your sleep on
> Gentoo or RedHat?  Repeat that process, it apparently works!  :-)

I said it all in an earlier post. I'm lazy <grin>. The repeatable
process is several years of RTFM and RTFLISTS. I'm looking for
shortcuts.

> Nothing earth-shattering seems to be coming out of Linux at all on any
> front these days, really... KDE and GNOME are hopelessly mired in their
> battle and usability isn't really getting any better with any release,
> stuff still takes too much effort after a decade or so of development to
> get various things working (fonts, anyone?), and I'm kinda kicking back
> and not very actively pursuing any major projects right now...

It seems to me that the main reason these two are not making any
usability progress is that they keep changing the interface/API/etc.
Package makers spend all their time keeping up with the changes.

> But as far as Debian maintenance goes... I was a dyed-in-the-wool
> dselect and apt-get fan for a long time... apt-get update && apt-get
> upgrade seemed to take care of most needs for patching and updating...
>
> But I learned about aptitude and started using it.  It calculates
> dependencies to a finer level and will automatically remove unused ones
> if asked, which leaves less overall cruft on the system.
>
> aptitude update && aptitude upgrade -- seems to "work a treat" as my
> Aussie friends from ham radio would say.

I'm still too much of a babe in the woods with this stuff. Isn't the
dependancy checking and removal what apt-get build-dep does?

> I hear this site is gaining massively in popularity also, and might
> produce some jewels of documentation --
> http://www.debian-administration.org.  It got some press recently in the
> Debian Weekly News.  DWN is probably another thing I would highly
> recommend...

Thanks, I'll give them a shot.

> hidden in all the political and ever-raging debates over licenses and
> elections and goodness knows what else t

Yeah, that's been my major hangup over the years with Debian. Just the
facts, ma'am, and keep the religion between yourself and RMS, thank
you very much.

> Trying to track what's going on in Debian from a spin-off is virtually
> impossible.

My mission at home is to find a distro that's relatively stable,
relatively easy to update, and relatively close to current without
being bleeding edge and to get a little exposure to the Debian way of
doing things. Ubuntu might fill that bill ; it's way too early to
tell. I have no need for servers at home, and my at work servers are
all RedRat.

Two shortcomings at present:

1) The recommended approaches to the installation of mplayer, xmms on
the newbie guides don't seem to produce a usable result.
mplayerplug-in either hangs or produces pictures with no sound. Didn't
have that problem with CentOS.

2) The standard [K]ubuntu offering doesn't have the compiler
toolchain. I've gotten spoiled by Gentoo in that respect. It's a lot
of work to produce a system that will allow you to build from source
on Ubuntu.

> I just use Debian on the servers nowadays... it's stable, rarely if ever
> jacks up a configuration file without warning during an upgrade, doesn't
> leave crap like ".rpmnew" and ".rpmold" lying around for me to sort out
> during upgrades either (that would break Debian policy - the package
> maintainer is supposed to help you get through major changes with more
> intelligence than just dropping you at a new version with your old
> config, a new broken one, and a document with no details... like
> RedHat-type distros do), and in general it's just kinda "there"... it
> works.  No frills, no fuss.
>
> Kubuntu and Ubuntu and the like add the frills and fuss and complexity
> back in to some degree, making some things like configuration of a nice
> desktop/laptop machine "easier" at first, but I wonder how they'll hold
> up to upgrades and the test of time.  Ubuntu shows a lot of promise in
> that regard.

Thanks for the input.

One thing I'm curious about, security-wise. On Kubuntu, Debian too?,
the root web directory is /var/www owned by root:root whereas RedHat
and others put the root directory in /var/www/<somethingelse> usually
owned by apache:apache. Isn't root ownership of the web directory a
bad idea (TM)?

--
 Collins
       Head teachers of the world unite: you have nothing to lose but