[clue-tech] Presentation on Ubunto/Debian?

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue May 31 18:32:18 MDT 2005

Collins Richey wrote:
[...]
> 2) The standard [K]ubuntu offering doesn't have the compiler
> toolchain. I've gotten spoiled by Gentoo in that respect. It's a lot
> of work to produce a system that will allow you to build from source
> on Ubuntu.

I've never thought this was "a lot of work".  Just install the packages
the source says you need to build it--usually the headers and libraries
take the most effort (and those are different for every package).

How many packages do you need to build from source?

Did you look at tasksel?  I never use it because it installs whatever it
thinks you need for a particular task, but I bet it has a developer task
that will install everything you need.