[clue-tech] DocumentRoot permissions [was Re: Presentation on Ubunto/Debian?]

mikeb mikeb at wispertel.net
Tue May 31 22:48:06 MDT 2005

Collins Richey wrote:

>On 5/30/05, Angelo Bertolli <angelo at freeshell.org> wrote:
>

>>David Anselmi wrote:
>>

>>>Collins Richey wrote:
>>>[...]
>>>>

>>>Why would root ownership be a bad idea?  Your confusing file ownership
>>>with process ownership, I think.
>>>

>>Root ownership is fine.  Just don't run apache as root, and don't suExec
>>as root (if that's allowed).  I know suPHP won't work if your UID is 100
>>or below in the current compilation.
>>
>>But of course if apache is running as another user, and your web
>>directory is mod 700,  then it won't be able to read it.  My hunch is
>>your web server is not being run as root, and if you chmod 700 the
>>directory it won't work.
>>

>See note from other thread. [K]ubuntu runs apache as User 'myownuser'
>Group 'myownuser'.

Upon further investigation, Hoary 5.04 repaired my concerns with
permissions(reading Ubuntu security lists) versus the Warty 4.10(on my
test box) Release so, I am going to have to test the newer release on my
test box to prove it to myself.  The jury is still out whether [K]ubuntu
is designed for server operation or ease of use as a desktop operating
system. I think the later.