Debian upgrade styles [was Re: [clue-tech] Ubuntu experiences good and bad]

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Nov 1 18:32:14 MST 2005

Angelo Bertolli wrote:
[...]
> I think I decided that:
> 1) When a new stable release comes out, use that
> 2) When you start to need/want newer things, and the testing release has
> been churning for 6 months to a year, switch to that.
>
> Also, I learned the "hard way" not to use "stable" and "testing" in my
> apt sources.  Much better to use the name of the release, like "sarge"

How curious.  Are you doing this with production servers (in which case
I can understand)?  Are you running any custom or 3rd party apps that
require testing before upgrading?

I've been running "testing" (not sarge/etch) for years.  I don't have
problems with upgrades--I do them every month or so.  I never run into
the "upgrade or fresh install" question.  I do pay attention to what is
getting upgraded so I can anticipate problems.

I do run testing on production servers, but I have simple servers
(nothing that isn't stock Debian), a small budget, and a big upgrade window.