[clue-tech] rootkit detection

Jeff Cann jccann at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 05:03:14 MST 2005

One of our DMZ webservers had an unexpected failure the other day.  Tomcat
just flat stopped running.  It dumped a core file and I think it was just a
bug.  But, I'm paranoid, so I used 'rkhunter' to check for a root kit.  My
thought was someone found a tomcat exploit [I'm not aware of any] that
crashed it.  Or an attempt caused the crash.  Or it was just a plain-old
crash.

I used rkhunter which showed no problems.  I'm wondering if I should run other
detection measures?  Perhaps running chkrootkit *and* rkhunter?  Maybe I'm
just paranoid.  This box is fairly hardened, with only ports 80, 25, 22 open.
We're running tomcat, postfix, and openssh on those ports.

I appreciate any suggestions,
Jeff
--
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
        - Albert Einstein