[clue-tech] rootkit detection

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Nov 1 09:02:26 MST 2005

Jeff Cann wrote:
> One of our DMZ webservers had an unexpected failure the other day.
[...]
> I used rkhunter which showed no problems.  I'm wondering if I should run other
> detection measures?

If you're paranoid you just check all your binaries against your
tripwire (et. al.) database. ;-)

You might set up a sniffer/IDS/ntop on traffic from that box and see if
anything unusual shows up.  Or you could configure the firewall to block
everything not absolutely necessary (I wonder what kind of netfiltering
you can do above layer 4) and log any failures.