[clue-tech] What do you monitor on Linux?

Kevin Cullis kevincu at viawest.net
Tue Nov 8 13:24:26 MST 2005

Hey all,

I was wondering after I've installed Ubuntu I began wondering what to
monitor on a regular basis. Currently I monitor these things:

1. CPU - for a runaway processes
2. Network - for when I'm off the network for any unusual traffic.
3. Memory - for whether I need more or not.
4. Disk space/activity - if it need more or not.
5. Log files - for those root kits the might possibly do some damage.
6. SPAM filters - for obvious reasons
7. Linux kernel and program updates

I'm trying to get into some better habits and sometimes I'm not at all
sure I've got them all down.

What do you all monitor and for what reason?

Kevin