[clue-tech] My/PgSQLs and FVWM on RH Re: Additional study groups and/or topics?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 20:23:32 MST 2005

On 11/18/05, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
> Collins Richey wrote:
> [...]
> > I'm under the gun to get something better than RH9 ready for imaging
> > new work stations, and the powers that be have decided that will be
> > RHEL3. I'll get back to diddling with the other WMs after we get the
> > initial image ready.
>

> I wonder whether I'd ever use install images on Linux machines.  Maybe.
>   And on Windows it seems to be the best thing going.  But Linux, I
> don't know.  I would think a minimal network boot/install would be fast
> enough and more flexible.  Wish I had a chance to try it out.

In this case, the outcome will be quite fast. I'm building a kickstart
procedure to install a usable workstation automatically. The thing
that takes time is the 20-30 customizations that are necessary for a
workstation on our network. Once this is done, the kickstart procedure
will require only minimal changes when we go to RHEL4.

However, the sticking point is this. There is no good way in any Linux
distro (or Windows for that matter) to upgrade 100+ workstations from
a lower level to a much newer level. Sigh.

> [...]
> > When we get a little time, we will be developing Cfengine procedures
> > (half fast working at this point) to push upgrades to the
> > workstations and servers.
>
> You might look at puppet before you get too deep into cfengine (and
> infrastructures.org):
>
> http://reductivelabs.com/projects/puppet
>
> It may be a little immature but it looks promising.

I'll look at these, but the powers that be seem to be in love with Cfengine.

> Both will be well covered at LISA '05, you should go.
>
> http://www.usenix.org/events/lisa05/

Maybe another year. Not within the realm of possibility at present.

--
Collins Richey
      Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code ... If you write