[clue-tech] WS upgrades [was My/PgSQLs and FVWM on RH]

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 21:21:00 MST 2005

On 11/18/05, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:

> Maybe someday I'll run custom and proprietary apps on Debian testing
> (upgraded weekly/monthly), make it work no matter what, and write a
> paper about whether that's a better way to go and what the apps have to
> do to play nice.  (If there are any proprietary apps you can buy to run
> on Debian.)

Should be interesting to see what Ubuntu does with their "pseudo"
enterprise releases. Debian without the attitude, and supposedly
guaranteed updates over a longer period.

> It shouldn't be impossible--Debian does it for all their apps.  Good
> argument to avoid proprietary software.

Yeah, but most companies of more than a few employees line up to pay
the big bucks to get proprietary Linux and apps, so go figure. Tis
better to pay through the nose for service contracts for that one time
in 20 years where you might actually need service from the vendor. So
thinketh the CIOs and bean counters and lawyers anyway.

> Sorry, I'm rambling.

Rambling is cool.

--
Collins Richey
      Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code ... If you write