[clue-tech] WS upgrades

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 08:01:33 MST 2005

On 11/18/05, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
> Collins Richey wrote:

> > Yeah, but most companies of more than a few employees line up to pay
> > the big bucks to get proprietary Linux and apps, so go figure. Tis
> > better to pay through the nose for service contracts for that one time
> > in 20 years where you might actually need service from the vendor. So
> > thinketh the CIOs and bean counters and lawyers anyway.
>
> It's a shame.  I'm usually tempted to answer "I need help with RHEL..."
> with "didn't you pay Red Hat to answer that?"  Maybe I'm missing the
> point.  But imagine how quick your bug would get fixed if you called up
> the developer and said "I'll pay you a year of RH support to fix this
> bug for me".  Well, ok, I don't know what RH costs...

You're preaching to the choir. If you want a delayed answer, call Red
Hat. All too frequently, the Red Hat answer to problems is WONTFIX. If
you want a quick answer, ask the question on a Linux forum or list.
Said developer would be fabulously wealthy after only a few bugs. RH
costs a bundle.

> [0] I have the highest respect for the Debian security team.  But they
> (mostly) only make security fixes for stable and I don't use that.  Not
> to denigrate stable or anyone using it, just wishing for a better world.
>

>From everything I've seen thus far, Ubuntu will most likely be that
better world. Solid Debian base, but daring to be more modern and more
accessible.

--
Collins Richey
      Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code ... If you write