[clue-tech] ClamAV

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Wed Nov 23 11:10:33 MST 2005

I'm trying to get ClamAV working on my CentOS 3.6 system.  I have these
rpms installed:

clamav-db-0.87-1.1.el3.rf
clamav-milter-0.87-1.1.el3.rf
clamd-0.87-1.1.el3.rf
clamav-0.87-1.1.el3.rf

I successfully got clamd to fire right up after I created and edited the
initial /etc/clam.conf file it needed.  I read on the project site that
you can set up clamav-milter to be a sort of hook into Sendmail, which I
also run. I added these lines to my sendmail.mc file:

INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(‘clmilter’,‘S=local:/var/run/clamav/clmilter.sock,F=,
T=S:4m;R:4m’)dnl
define(‘confINPUT_MAIL_FILTERS’, ‘clmilter’)

Then I restart sendmail, and I get this error:

# /etc/init.d/sendmail restart
Shutting down sendmail: [  OK  ]
Shutting down sm-client: [  OK  ]
Starting sendmail: 554 5.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 1672:
Xclmilter: unknown filter equate =
554 5.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 1672: Xclmilter: empty or missing
socket information
[FAILED]
Starting sm-client: [  OK  ]

I've searched google groups for this error message, and I only found one
link, which wasn't in English.  I did notice the part though about
having to start the clamav-milter first.  So, I tried:

# /etc/init.d/clamav-milter restart
Stopping Clamav Milter Daemon: [FAILED]
Starting Clamav Milter Daemon: clamav-milter: socket-addr
(local:/var/clamav/clmilter.socket) doesn't agree with sendmail.cf
[FAILED]

So, I'm seeing something in these errors: references to two different files:

/var/run/clamav/clmilter.sock
/var/clamav/clmilter.socket

I went into the sendmail.mc file and edited it to match
/var/clamav/clmilter.socket and tried it again, but that didn't work
either.

Has anyone seen this before?