[clue-tech] computer won't boot

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Fri Nov 25 09:15:41 MST 2005

Russell Glissmann wrote:

> If you don't hear any POST, and nothing shows up on the display, then
> start by removing any cards, such as NIC, modem, even the video card
> to start with.  Any one of those can hang a computer.  If that doesn't
> change anything, then remove the motherboard battery for about 30
> seconds, then replace and again try to boot.  If nothing happens after
> all of this, then the computer is toast.  Dispose of properly.

Well, I dont' know what did it, but it seems to be working a little bit
better now.  I took out all the extra cards, removing and replacing the
chip, and made sure the switches that were on the motherboard were set
correctly (I think some of them were set to "test only").  Now it's
still getting stuck, but it's obvious something is happening.  I even
got POST once.

One problem is, the PS2 keyboard port in the back is unusable.
Apparently the square prong from a PS2 device broke off and got wedged
in there, and there's no way I can get it out.  It's amazing how
something so small and simple can make a motherboard useless.

Angelo