[clue-tech] HTTP method specifications

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Fri Nov 25 14:22:31 MST 2005

Jed S. Baer wrote:

> Anyways, while I believe that the overall problem is solved -- i.e. random
> people, or maybe only Jeff, aren't getting spammed via the contact form --
> I'm still looking for a more robust way to catch spambots and ignore them.
> Currently, I'm logging in order to see whether legitimate e-mails are
> getting trapped (so far, none, AFAICT), and I want to get to the point of
> not feeling as if I need to do that.
>
> So, I'm looking for a good description of how the HTTP post specification
> works. Something other than the W3C RFC.

? Last I heard there was no such thing as a W3C RFC. Do you mean the
IETF RFC (which I suppose might be mirrored at w3c.org) or some other
W3C doc?

But I guess it isn't all that important which specific docs you *don't*
want. But when you say "how the ... specification works," do you really
mean a more in-depth discussion of the specification itself, or are you
talking about implementations? In which case the answers are probably
buried somewhere in the vastness of Apache and/or PHP docs.

In any case, I wonder if a better understanding of POST per se is really
what you need. It seems like your real problem is a higher-level (dare I
say semantic?) one. POST is just a way for the server to receive an
"entity" (AKA document) containing various parameters, and it seems to
me the issue is how to detect badly-behaving users based on the values
of those parameters.

Or no?

--
Matt Gushee