[clue-tech] Postfix config: localhost vs. internet mail

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Nov 25 21:34:55 MST 2005

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 22:16:55 -0500
Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> I think this is the correct assumption.  I know one solution in sendmail
>
> is to masquerade the domain name.  Maybe you can do a similar thing in
> postfix:
>
> http://www.postfix.org/rewrite.html

This got me, in a roundabout way, to docs (on my machine) where is says,

[quote]
This section is for hosts that don't have an Internet hostname. Typically
these
are systems that get a dynamic IP address via DHCP or via dialup. Postfix
will
let you send and receive mail just fine between accounts on a machine with
fantasy name. However, you cannot use a fantasy hostname in your email
address
when sending mail into the Internet, because no-one would be able to reply
your mail. In fact, more and more sites refuse mail from non-existent
domain
names.

The perfect solution would be for Postfix to do a mapping from local
fantasy
email addresses to valid Internet addresses when mail leaves the machine
(similar to Sendmail's generics table). This is planned for the near
future
[end quote]

And then goes on to describe some techniques which maybe will work. That
mechanism being canonical_maps. This can be restricted by using the
sender_canonical_maps, so it looks pretty good for me, although not
perfect.

However, it appears that a newer version of postfix has generic maps
available. So maybe I'll just see what yum thinks is available as an
update.

http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html#generic

Thanks for the pointer.
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E