[clue-tech] Re: predicting 'at' files

Jason S. Friedman jason at powerpull.net
Wed Oct 5 13:25:58 MDT 2005

>> This is Fedora Core 2.
>>
>> I have a user with an upcoming 'at' job:
>> $ atq
>> 28      2005-10-17 03:38 a matchingmoms
>>
>> I have these files:
>> $ ls -l /var/spool/at
>> total 8
>> -rwx------  1 matchingmoms users  2317 Sep 21 03:39
>> a0001c011f407a
>> drwx------  2 daemon       daemon 4096 Oct  4 00:35
>> spool
>>
>> I've looked in the contents of a0001c011f407a and saw
>> nothing that would indicate when the job is scheduled.
>> How does 'at' know when to run this job?
>
> Did you have a look at the man page for at(1)?  This is
> in that man page:
>
>        atq     lists  the user's pending jobs, unless the
> user is the superuser; in that case,
>                everybody's jobs are listed.  The format of
> the output lines (one for each job)
>                is: Job number, date, hour, job class.

I did look at the man page.  And, atq performs as
advertised.  I was just curious as to implementation.  I
don't understand how my machine "knows" or "remembers"
that job is to run at 3:38 on October 17.  I assume that
information must be written to disk somewhere, I just
can't find it.
If a0001c011f407a is a hexadecimal number, its decimal
equivalent is 45036116551614586.  I can't figure out what
that might mean.