[clue-tech] Permission settings lost at reboot

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Sat Oct 8 12:54:16 MDT 2005

Hi, all--

For some time now I've been having a problem with permissions:

There are certain directories that I want to be able to access under my
regular user account, for example /usr/local/src. The directory is owned
by root, but I generally set the group to 'staff', which is a group that
I am a member of (but I think the same thing happens if I change the
owner to myself), with the staff group having write permission on that
directory and everything under it.

So far so good. Trouble is, every time I reboot the owner/group reverts
to root.root, with no write permission for the group.

So how do I make the permissions persistent? Is there a mount option
that would take care of it (the directories I have trouble with are on
separate partitions from /home)?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--
Matt Gushee