[clue-tech] Permission settings lost at reboot

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Sat Oct 8 18:01:45 MDT 2005

Angelo Bertolli wrote:

>> So how do I make the permissions persistent? Is there a mount option
>> that would take care of it (the directories I have trouble with are on
>> separate partitions from /home)?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> I don't really understand SELinux, but I have a hunch that it might be
> the culprit.  Maybe someone on the list can give an idea of how to
> change that, if in fact SELinux is doing this.

Ah, you know, that could be it. The latest Arch kernel has SELinux
enabled by default. But previously I had an SE-enabled kernel that I
used occasionally for playing around with music apps. I haven't kept
very close track, but in hindsight it seems like the times when my
permissions got lost could have corresponded to the times I booted with
that kernel.

As for what to do about it, there is now a set of config files in
/etc/security that could be the key. I'll have to learn more about those.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA