[clue-tech] CentOS

William wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com
Thu Oct 27 10:57:29 MDT 2005

mike havlicek wrote:

 >Hey,
 >
 >Anybody familiar with CentOS? I am checking it out
 >based upon  a contract requirement. But I don't think
 >it (the distro) is really kosher. It seems to be an
 >absolute steal of RedHat Enterprise. Things are
 >confusig with GPL
 >but to totally take RedHat Enterprise and distribute
 >it freely was quite a task if legal.

I use CentOS exclusively on all my servers.  You don't seem to realize
what CentOS is:  a perfectly legal RHEL re-brand distro.  CentOS is not
the only RHEL re-brand project.  Read up on
http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=2.  All mentions
of "a prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor" refer to RedHat,
who specifically asked CentOS not to display the RedHat name (else
RedHat would be in a position of being asked to support CentOS, which
isn't cool for RedHat).

 >I stll do wonder where CentOS got their code and if it
 >is legal.

Re-branding RedHat's distro is perfectly legal, has been going on for
quite a while, and is nothing to fear.  When you use CentOS, you are
really using a very slightly modified version of RHEL.  Ever time RedHat
releases a new version of RHEL, CentOS follows suit very closely because
RedHat makes their sources available to groups like CentOS.  CentOS is
"kosher".  :)