[clue-tech] CentOS

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Thu Oct 27 10:58:53 MDT 2005

mike havlicek wrote:

>Hey,
>
>Anybody familiar with CentOS? I am checking it out
>based upon  a contract requirement. But I don't think
>it (the distro) is really kosher. It seems to be an
>absolute steal of RedHat Enterprise. Things are
>confusig with GPL
>but to totally take RedHat Enterprise and distribute
>it freely was quite a task if legal.

Yes, we use CentOS at work.  I'm sure there are no legal issues.
However we don't use CentOS for servers--who knows CentOS might be
missing some of the software.

>I have read the copyright information with RHEL AS4.X.
>I think it does indicate that the source is freely
>available and can be modified as long as you remove
>all RedHat logos. But on the other hand the source is
>only available if you agree to a contract with an
>expiration.

Red Hat places restrictions on the use of their trademarks.  If you copy
and modify a Red Hat distro, you can't claim it to be Red Hat.  They
don't want anyone else distributing something called "Red Hat."

>Certainly the RedHat modified kernel is proprietary. I
>actually was not aware that the RedHat kernels were
>modified until about 2 weeks ago.... when I found that
>I got errors between RHEL-AS-4.2 distro and a current
>buld of the kernel on my host.

Why would the RH modified kernel be proprietary?  It ought to be under
the GPL.

>I stll do wonder where CentOS got their code and if it
>is legal.

They probably download it from RH's website.