[clue-tech] CentOS

William wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com
Thu Oct 27 12:36:51 MDT 2005

mike havlicek wrote:

>Surely, but it can be modified with propriatory
>changes as long as the original source is made
>available at least by url  if not by ftp by the
>provider??????
>
>But the propriatory changes that make the company
>money are not required to be provided. It is only the
>universityware that has to be provided.
>-Mike

You are cursading on the wrong cause.  Please take the time to actually
read the GPL license text very closely.  Get a lawyer who specializes in
IP, software patents, and/or copyrights to help you understand it.

This conversation has deviated from a CentOS question into a question of
GPL license terms.  Back to the original question and to summarize what
we have been trying to tell you:

Use CentOS with a clear conscience if you have been asked to use it.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, or with using it, or with
distributing it, or with altering it, or with renaming and
redistributing it.  If you don't understand why, we won't explain it to
you; we aren't lawyers.  We have done our own reading and questioning
and we are all content with the legality of using CentOS.

If there was anything wrong with it, you can bet that RedHat would have
put a stop it it a long time ago, along with all the other RHEL
re-branding projects.  RedHat has already dealt with CentOS and did
nothing more than assert that the name, "RedHat", could not appear on
the CentOS website or on the binary product.

This is all a whole lot simpler than you seem to think it is.  We've
answered your question.  If you're not happy with our answer, then
you're not asking the right question  For the rest of your concerns, you
must seek out a laywer.  We cannot help you further with your licensing
questions.

I'm sorry if this seems stern.  You are exhausting the question and
crusading, which drove me to this reply.