[clue-tech] CentOS

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Oct 27 17:31:10 MDT 2005

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:29:50 -0400
Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> mike havlicek wrote:
>
> >GPL code can be modified and redistributed at least
> >for sale. So I may have missed the difference between
> >propriatory and for sale under copyright.... whoops.
> >

> Well you're right, RH could set it up so that CentOS had to buy one copy
> of everything before they could redistribute it, but I don't think they
> do that.

Well, the GPL says,

  =================
1.  You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's source
code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and
appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice and
disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the notices that refer to this
License and to the absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients
of the Program a copy of this License along with the Program.

You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and you
may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.

2.  You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of
it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and distribute such
modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that
you also meet all of these conditions:

[snip]

4.  You may not copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute the Program except
as expressly provided under this License. Any attempt otherwise to copy,
modify, sublicense or distribute the Program is void, and will
automatically terminate your rights under this License. However, parties
who have received copies, or rights, from you under this License will not
have their licenses terminated so long as such parties remain in full
compliance

i.e. no, they may not sell GPL'd code as such.
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E