[clue-tech] Ubuntu experiences good and bad

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 08:51:59 MST 2005

On 10/29/05, Kevin Cullis <kevincu at viawest.net> wrote:

> Personally I'm tired of the "I'll make if it kills me" Linux installs.
> I've trid Fedora 3 & 4, SUSE 9.2, Ubuntu 5.10, and CentOS and I much
> prefer Ubuntu because of it's complete install without issues.

Actually I had very good results with FC3 and CentOS4 (equivalent
levels of Red Hat stuff); no issues there as well. Neither Ubuntu nor
these are examples of a "complete install" in the sense that a Winodws
installation with M$Office is. Due to licensing issues, you've got to
do a lot of post processing to incorporate acceptible multimedia
functions into Linux, and it's almost guaranteed that your Linux
distro will be without current versions of Firefox and OpenOffice when
you complete the installation. Fortunately, the Ubuntu community, if
not the developers, have done quite a good job of documenting the
steps you need to take to arrive at a more complete system.

--
Collins Richey
      Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code ... If you write