[clue-tech] Ubuntu experiences good and bad

Chuck Downing chuckdowning at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 31 07:28:51 MST 2005

Collins Richey wrote:
> CLUE has been handing out a lot of Ubuntu CD's lately. I'm just
> wondering if any of you have taken the plunge ?!
>
> I put up Ubunto alongside my CentOS system a month ago. I didn't use
> the giveaway disks, because they are the girly-man Gnome variant (my
> prejudice is showing). I installed a Kubuntu 5.04 system, then upgrade
> to 5.10. Some comments:
>
> Snip ...
>
> I'll be interested to hear other experiences.

I am a "home user", to put it mildly.  I have been experimenting with
Linux for about five years.  I agree that Ubuntu seems to be very easy
to install.

I went the Gnome route with Ubuntu 5.10, since I was relatively
unfamiliar with that interface.  With it, and a little help from the
Internet, I have been able to merge the Linux box into my small home
network.  I can use printers attached to the Linux box _and_ attached to
a Windows box.  I have an Epson scanner running from the USB port on the
Linux box.  I can see and share the files and directories on my two
Windows boxes.  Browsing the Internet was easy.

I do have a couple complaints, though:

1.  The Gnome background is crappy!  When I tried to change it, the same
graphic is applied to all four work areas.  With KDE, I had been using
the background to stay oriented with what I was doing.

2.  I have tried and tried to share files from the Linux box to my
production Windows box.  It is possibly a firewall issue with Zone Alarm
on the Windows box, but it is frustrating.  Windows can recognize the
shared directory, but insists on prepending _its_ computer name to the
user ID when I try to log in.  Then it tells me that I don't have
permission to see the shares.  Of course, Linux won't allow a \ in a
user ID, so I'm stuck.

Since I have been traveling a lot since starting the latest experiment,
I need much more time to develop any more likes and dislikes.

> --
> Collins Richey
>       Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code ... If you write
>       the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not
>       smart enough to debug it.
>              -Brian Kernighan

Chuck Downing
Leadville, Colorado