[clue-tech] Ubuntu experiences good and bad

Chuck Downing chuckdowning at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 31 13:20:43 MST 2005

Chuck Downing wrote:
> Dave Price wrote:
>
>> On 10/31/05, Chuck Downing <chuckdowning at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Collins Richey wrote:
>>> 2.  I have tried and tried to share files from the Linux box to my
>>> production Windows box.  It is possibly a firewall issue with Zone Alarm
>>> on the Windows box, but it is frustrating.  Windows can recognize the
>>> shared directory, but insists on prepending _its_ computer name to the
>>> user ID when I try to log in.  Then it tells me that I don't have
>>> permission to see the shares.  Of course, Linux won't allow a \ in a
>>> user ID, so I'm stuck.
>>

>> Use a / in the username instead of \
>> --
>> aloha,
>> dave
>>
> Dave,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, neither \ nor / is allowed by
> the Ubuntu 5.10 User Admin program.  I always get the attached error.
>
> BTW, I created this jpg file with a screen capture from Gimp and moved
> it from the Linux box to the Windows box via File Browser and my network.
>
> Thanks for your time.

Gang,

Never mind.  The difficulty can be explained simply--I have the same
user ID on the Linux box and the Windows box.  Therefore Windows wanted
to prepend its computer name to identify me on Windows.

When I created a new user on the Linux box, I logged on to the shared
directories from the Windows box just fine.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

--
Chuck Downing
Leadville, Colorado