[clue-tech] proxy server

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Mon Oct 31 16:45:23 MST 2005

Hi Jason,

> I have a machine at home that I can reach from my machine
> at work (both run Linux).

Make it an openvpn server and run openvpn client on your
workstation at work.  Then set your web browser on your
workstation at work to connect to your openvpn server's
internal IP address.

All of your web traffic will appear to be encrypted VPN data
to your home IP address.  This may make it stand out on the
radar of anyone checking traffic to various IP addresses,
but they won't be able to see what pages you viewed.

Also at some offices unauthorized VPNs could be a firing
offense due to security issues (if an attacker compromises
your machine at home, the attackers also have access to the
inside of your company's network).

> I'd like to surf the web, using my machine at home as a
> proxy, such that my activity would not be reviewable.  In
> other words, someone at the office reviewing my network
> usage would only see repeated requests to my home machine.
>
> I've nothing nefarious in mind, just curious as to how it
> could be done.

Hope that explains.

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)