[clue-tech] persistant perm changes

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 31 21:23:17 MST 2005

Recently a question was asked about permission changes
on /home. I have never run into that problem .. but I
have run into persistantcy of changes to my cdwriter
using 2.6.X kernels. This is actually documented on
the xcdroast website ... what is suggested is to use
the 2.4.X kernels. Although it might be a security
risk, editing /etc/security/console.perms or a file in
a subdir can help with this problem. In the case of
fedora core4 I edited
/etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms to
contain:

<console>  0600 <cdrom>      0666 root.disk

Allowing my non-root user to access the writer .

-Mike