Language war of the moment (was Re: [clue-tech] I'm blind, or why is this PHP fwrite() failing?)

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Mon Sep 26 12:05:31 MDT 2005

Matt Gushee wrote:

> David L. Anselmi wrote:
>
>> I'm no programing wizard, nor language guru.  And I understand the
>> lure of being able to build web apps quick and easy.
>

> Yes, and I think from a Web-design perspective embedded scripting is
> very attractive because it puts you closer to the target domain from
> the beginning. A script that generates a Web page is an abstraction,
> and not everybody is good at thinking that way. A PHP script *is* a
> Web page, or at least can be. From that perspective, a templating
> system based on a more coherently designed language (Python, maybe?)
> is even better, but I guess there wasn't much in that space when PHP
> was invented.

I think this is the main issue for me.  I like PHP a lot, and mostly
because it is so easy to embed into an already-existing infrastructure.
It's also a very very relaxed language which allows you to think more
about your web site design, and worry less about other things.  Also it
gained a lot of popularity due to the fact that it had a lot of built in
database access functions that "just work."  Alot of companies were
built on PHP + Apache + MySQL.

Angelo