[clue-tech] Stupid error on Xfree on debian

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Sep 12 22:17:34 MDT 2005

Hi Art, good to hear from you again.

Art Reisman wrote:
> Hello list!
>
> I recently did an upgrade of my Debian release and
> since that time I cannot start my xwindows

Did you get the xorg upgrade?  I seem to still be on xfree but xorg is
clearly in the works.  Oh, you said Xfree86 below...

> Yields a message complaining about font renderer and
> priority 0 ... when kicking off Xfree86
>
> A google search shows other people with this problem
> but no responses.
>
> Can anybody suggest a quick and easy way to get my
> xwindows up again?

I'd bet the problem is in your XF86Config file.  Can you post (or send
it to me) with the XFree86 log?  I'll take a closer look.

I usually use KDM but I see that quitting that and using startx works
fine (some of the fonts seem different, but oh well).

If you have symptoms like this thread:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-testing/2005/07/msg00032.html

where X starts but fails to do anything useful, the problem may be in
your session setup stuff.  That seems to be in xfree86-common so maybe
reinstalling or reconfiguring that package will help.

Sorry I can't be more definitive.