[clue-tech] Help with 2 hard drives on same IDE

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Mon Sep 19 09:34:44 MDT 2005

A recently installed a 160 GB hard drive (seagate) in my machine, along
side my other 160 GB hard drive (western digital), and now all hell has
broken loose.  I had to install a new power supply to ensure I had
enough for both drives and my burners.  It worked perfectly for about 1
week, during which time, I didn't even get around to even formatting the
extra hard drive yet (so there were no data transfers to the new hard
drive, and certainly no transfers between the two drives).  Then one day
the power had gone out in my place, so I promptly put in a surge
protector before it came back on and destroyed everything.  I tried to
turn on my computer (was off before power went out), and there was a
LITTLE bit of power.  I heard some clicking noises so I immediately
unplugged the machine to get it to stop.  (Maybe this is irrelevant.)

After that, Windows would not boot--always failing at a certain point in
boot.  (However Linux booted fine.)  I started to suspect the hard drive
because it was always rebooting at the same point, and also flashed a
blue screen sometimes that I could see.  So I booted the install CD and
tried to run the repair console.  The problem is that at this point the
partition looked "Damaged or Unpartitioned" to Windows, and therefore
cannot be corrected.

So next I decided to backup all my data to my second hard drive (just
newly installed), and reinstall Windows.  The first time I tried,
Windows couldn't even partition the drive correctly:  it ended up making
novell netware partition and essentially screwing up the partition table.

So then I repartitioned the drive with Linux, and then tried to install
Windows in the windows partition.  This "worked" but when it boots it
says that NTLDR is missing (which is the operating system loader).

My last attempt to reinstall involves me becoming suspicous about having
two hard drives on the same cable, so I removed the other one.  Still
the same problem.  However, I think having the second hard drive is
probably what messed it up.  I asked around and did a lot of research to
decide on how to set up my IDE cables, and everyone seemed to say that
they should be on the same cable.

After trying to install about a dozen times, I think I might have a good
idea that the damaged portion of the disk is well within the first 500
MB of the disk, so I may partition that 500 MB away and just start there.

So I guess this is just a general cry for help about any information or
experience that someone may have with putting 2 different brand hard
drives on the same IDE cable.  Did I permanently mess up my drive?  I'm
not confident that it's safe to use anymore i.e. I'm not confident that
it won't mess up Linux too if I start using it.  Should I just always
put hard drives on different IDE chains?  I've heard that the second IDE
on the motherboard is also a virtual IDE and that originally there was
only one IDE.

Sorry, I know this is a hodge podge of stuff, but I'm just utterly
mystified about how this kind of stuff is still happening in 2005, and
really don't know what to do next.  I might just try sending the hard
drive back to western digital and see if they'll replace it.

Angelo