[clue-tech] Help with 2 hard drives on same IDE

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Mon Sep 19 16:45:37 MDT 2005

Jim Ockers wrote:

>Hi Adam,
>

>>>If you are sure there is a Windows installation there then you can
>>>make a boot floppy that will boot Windows NT/2000.  Google for it
>>>and you'll see it's not hard, provided you have a Windows install
>>>CD or diskette around.  :)
>>>

>>I have a windows 98 or so boot floppy image you can use.. Just dd it to
>>a floppy and it should work. Let me know, and I can put it up somewhere
>>for you.
>>

>The Windows 98 boot floppy will be unable to boot Windows NT.  The
>purpose of the NT/2000 boot floppy is to load the Windows NT kernel,
>not simply to boot the system into a command prompt.
>
>Your Windows 98 boot floppy almost certainly does not have the
>Windows NT kernel on it.
>
>Once booted the Windows NT kernel (and IDE driver) can then "find"
>the registry and other Windows files on the filesystem using the
>C:\BOOT.INI file.  The syntax for this file is available via google.
>
>...Anyway this is kind of offtopic for CLUE...

Well, to pull this back to topic, is there a way for me to test the
integrity of the drive using Linux?  e.g.  I am currently getting
"volume appears to contain one  or more unrecoverable problems" using
Windows' chkdsk (fsck substitute) with a surface test.  I don't mind
reformatting the whole drive and doing a surface test with Linux.  How
can I do this?