[clue-tech] Help with 2 hard drives on same IDE

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Tue Sep 20 09:18:16 MDT 2005

David L. Anselmi wrote:

> After the diagnostics report good you can run badblocks in Linux.
> Most likely the drive handles bad blocks itself and will be clean
> (there's a way to check it's internal spare block list but you'll have
> to google for that).

Here are the results of badblocks (which literally took all night to run):
root at ttyp0[knoppix]# badblocks -b 512 -p 1 -w -s /dev/hda
Testing with pattern 0xaa: 312581800/312581807
312581801
312581802
312581803
312581804
312581805
312581806
done
Reading and comparing: done
Testing with pattern 0x55: done
Reading and comparing: done
Testing with pattern 0xff: done
Reading and comparing: done
Testing with pattern 0x00: done
Reading and comparing: done

It's amazing that there are only a few bad blocks at the end of the
drive.  This should not have affected Windows at all.  But it's still
troublesome to me that those bad blocks are there at all.  What do I do
with those?

Angelo