[clue-tech] ethernet link down takes interface down??

Chris Hirsch chris at base2technology.com
Wed Sep 21 16:28:57 MDT 2005

Jim Ockers wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I'm chasing a ghost in the machine and thought I'd ask
>the group for help.  Has anyone ever heard of a case where un-
>plugging the ethernet cable causes the interface itself to go
>down?  Linux kernel 2.4.

 From my experience you've nailed it already...the ghost...it sounds
like the NIC has gone bad...before you test further can you throw in
another NIC and try that? I've chased down the weirdest problems with a
bad NIC. Some of the symptoms I've seen are as you've described...or you
can ping the interface but it only half replies. I've also seen an
instance were I could receive packets but not send. All of these were
due to a NIC going bad.

Good luck!