[clue-tech] Help with 2 hard drives on same IDE

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Fri Sep 23 13:04:34 MDT 2005

Roy J. Tellason wrote:

>On Thursday 22 September 2005 11:28 am, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>

>>Ever since I ran the diagnostic tools, the drive has been incorrectly
>>detected in the BIOS.  No matter what I put in or try to autodetect, it
>>comes up to no more than 33.8 GB.  The diagnostic tools even show this
>>as 33.8 GB, but for some reason are still smart enough to treat it as a
>>160 GB hard drive.  (By the way, with the BIOS settings, even Linux only
>>saw the drive as 33.8 GB.)
>>

>Linux doesn't use the BIOS beyond the initial boot sequence.  If linux is only
>seeing that much drive then that's what the drive is telling linux is
>there...

You were right about that.  Somehow when I was playing with the
diagnostic tools, I had unknowingly set it to say it's a different
size.  I'm not sure what the benefit of this is, but it certainly wasn't
clear when I was messing around with it.  Now it's reporting as 160 GB
to both the BIOS and Linux just fine.