[clue-tech] Help with 2 hard drives on same IDE

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Fri Sep 23 13:06:32 MDT 2005

Roy J. Tellason wrote:

>On Friday 23 September 2005 12:31 am, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>

>>Collins Richey wrote:
>>

>>>I can't help much with the harddrive errors, but back to one of your
>>>original questions. I doubt that the problem has anything to do with
>>>having 2 drives on the same IDE interface. I've had that configuration
>>>(HDA-B as harddrives, HDC as CD-Writer on almost every system since I
>>>started with Linux, and I've yet to see a harddrive error.
>>>

>>Yeah, I know that's what everyone is telling me, but gosh I just can't
>>convince myself that this is a coincidence.  Western Digital is supposed
>>to be a "good brand" but what are the chances that it would go out only
>>after 1 or 2 years of usage right after I put in a second hard drive?
>>Maybe it's not the drive itself, could it be the motherboard IDE, or
>>possibly the software controller?
>>
>>I don't know, but the drive seems to be getting worse.  I tried to
>>mkfs.ext3 and it started having some serious problems creating inodes.
>>

>If it's getting worse,  try running the diagnostic again.  But the first thing
>I'd try is a different cable,  they get flaky,  and the trouble showing up
>right after you were in there messing with the hardware sure seems to point
>to that as a possibility...

Yes, I was able to run the diagnostics and other utilities that came
with the drive, and get it working again.  However, I'm still unsure how
it got messed up in the first place.  Are there any sure-fire ways to
test to see if the drive will start having problems again besides just
using it until it starts to show problems?  I guess I should run some
disk scans regularly on it for a while.

Angelo