[clue-tech] OT: Ethernet Bridges

William wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com
Fri Apr 28 16:20:34 MDT 2006

While this question isn't related to Linux, I do hope to draw on your
collective Ethernet experience.

I'd like to Internet-enable my living room and I don't want to run a
cable to do it.  I'm aware of the notion of Ethernet Bridges which rely
on Wireless Access Points for connectivity.  Unfortunately, these
devices either aren't sold at retail stores, or the ones I can find are
described as supporting just one network device at a time.  I have
several Ethernet devices in my living room and I plan to add more.

I intend to put an Ethernet Switch in the living room and connect that
Switch to a new Ethernet Bridge device.  I intend to run multiple
devices simultaneously, so the Ethernet Bridge must support this
"Ethernet_Devices <-> Ethernet_Switch <-> Ethernet_Bridge <->
Wireless_Access_Point <-> Ethernet_Switch <-> Router" configuration.

Do any of you have experience with this configuration?  What Ethernet
Bridge(s) have you used successfully in this scenario?  Where can I buy
that device?

Thanks!!