[clue-tech] OT: Ethernet Bridges

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Fri Apr 28 18:18:05 MDT 2006

William wrote:
> While this question isn't related to Linux, I do hope to draw on your
> collective Ethernet experience.
>
> I'd like to Internet-enable my living room and I don't want to run a
> cable to do it.  I'm aware of the notion of Ethernet Bridges which rely
> on Wireless Access Points for connectivity.  Unfortunately, these
> devices either aren't sold at retail stores, or the ones I can find are
> described as supporting just one network device at a time.  I have
> several Ethernet devices in my living room and I plan to add more.
>
> I intend to put an Ethernet Switch in the living room and connect that
> Switch to a new Ethernet Bridge device.  I intend to run multiple
> devices simultaneously, so the Ethernet Bridge must support this
> "Ethernet_Devices <-> Ethernet_Switch <-> Ethernet_Bridge <->
> Wireless_Access_Point <-> Ethernet_Switch <-> Router" configuration.
>
> Do any of you have experience with this configuration?  What Ethernet
> Bridge(s) have you used successfully in this scenario?  Where can I buy
> that device?
>
> Thanks!!

I currently use two Linksys WRT54G's running a linux firmware to do
this.  Using a custom firmware you can setup two of them as a WDS
(wireless distribution system) and configure them as a transparent
ethernet bridge that can support multiple devices (switches, PCs, etc)
on each side.

To do this today you will need to purchase the WRT54G"L" models and then
install a custom firmware such as  OpenWRT or DD-WRT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrt54g

-Ken