[clue-tech] OT: Ethernet Bridges

William wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com
Sat Apr 29 11:05:48 MDT 2006

Ken MacFerrin wrote:

>> I currently use two Linksys WRT54G's running a linux firmware to do
>> this.  Using a custom firmware you can setup two of them as a WDS
>> (wireless distribution system) and configure them as a transparent
>> ethernet bridge that can support multiple devices (switches, PCs,
>> etc) on each side.
>>
>> To do this today you will need to purchase the WRT54G"L" models and
>> then install a custom firmware such as  OpenWRT or DD-WRT.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrt54g
>>
>> -Ken

In reading the Wiki article you indicated, I found that this device is a
wireless router rather than an Ethernet bridge.  I'm unclear how adding
another router/WAP to my network will solve my need when I already have
a cabled router (Cisco 850H) and a WAP (LinkSys WAP54G) in place.  I'm
open to clarification if you believe this is the right path.

Thank you.