[clue-tech] OT: Ethernet Bridges

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Sun Apr 30 23:31:21 MDT 2006

William wrote:
> Ken MacFerrin wrote:
>
>> I currently use two Linksys WRT54G's running a linux firmware to do
>> this.  Using a custom firmware you can setup two of them as a WDS
>> (wireless distribution system) and configure them as a transparent
>> ethernet bridge that can support multiple devices (switches, PCs, etc)
>> on each side.
>>
>> To do this today you will need to purchase the WRT54G"L" models and
>> then install a custom firmware such as  OpenWRT or DD-WRT.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrt54g
>>
>> -Ken
>
> That's great information.  For clarification, I have a question.  You
> mentioned using two of these devices.  Is that necessary for the
> solution to work, or will one such device work in my scenario, working
> along with my existing WAP?
>
> Thanks!

To use a WDS configuration you will need two devices that support WDS.
I personally do this with two WRT54G's and haven't tried other devices.
 Another option is to buy just 1 WRT54GL, load up the custom distro and
run it in "client mode" as a client to your existing AP.  Typically this
is done using "routed client mode" which would put all the devices
attached to the router behind NAT and make them more complicated to
access from the rest of your network.  The other option is to configure
"bridged client mode", which should give you what you are looking for
but I haven't personally tried it.  More here:
http://woz.gs/wifi/openwrtbridge.html

The reason I like using WDS instead of client mode is it allows me to
physically connect devices behind the remote WRT as a bridge and also
doubles my wifi coverage around the house.  With WDS, wifi laptops can
connect as clients to either of the WRTs.
-Ken