[clue-tech] So-called "smart" hosts.

Jeffrey Brown jabrown at co.jefferson.co.us
Tue Aug 1 09:47:10 MDT 2006

>>> "T. Joseph Carter" <tjcarter at bluecherry.net> 08/01/06 1:33 AM >>>
> Okay, now that I am using Comcast for connection purposes, I have
> discovered an old pet peeve of mine: Discrimination based on
connection
> class.  I have a valid IP, I have valid DNS, and I have a valid
mailserver
> at the IP with the appropriate DNS entry.

> At least two major sites refuse my email because I am not using
Comcast's
> so-called smarthost. <snip>

> Any suggestions, besides seeking professional assistance regarding
this
>paranoia of mine?  ;)

This is probably due the DNS reverse lookup that the receiving MTA is
doing. The reverse lookup on your public IP is something like
c24-213-84-73.hsd1.co.comcast.net and siting David Guntner's reply a lot
of MTAs out there won't accept mail from a reverse pointer record like
that and use <insert favorite mail filtering program> to reject it.