[clue-tech] Gentoo discussion was: Distro musings

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Tue Aug 1 18:27:51 MDT 2006

Collins Richey wrote:
> On 8/1/06, Ken MacFerrin <lists at macferrin.com> wrote:
>> Collins Richey wrote:
>> [snip]
>> > Another disappointing discovery. The Epson CX4200 is an all-in-one,
>> > and scanner worked out of the box on Ubuntu. Ubuntu has major udev
>> > rule sets for scanners, but USB scanners seem to have been relegated
>> > to a "roll your own" project on Gentoo. I've done losts of RTFM but no
>> > success. sane-find-scanner reports my scanner, but scanimage, xsane,
>> > and gimp acquire  will not work. Not a critical problem, but still
>> > disappointing.
>>
>> There's a few tips listed in these links to get the scanner running:
>> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_EPSON_CX3700_CX3800_CX4200_and_Others
>> http://atlee.ca/blog/2006/01/10/epson-cx4200/
>>
>> Mainly looks like it's a matter of adding the right product and vendor
>> id to /etc/sane.d/epson.conf
>>

> Ther's lots of tips of this sort, but no cigar

Hmm..  You've got me stumped then.  Only other thing I could suggest is
to try upgrading to the sane-backend testing package to see if it has
improved support for this.. or check out an Ubuntu install to see what
configs they used to get it working.

>> > Also, I was bummed out to find the win32codecs is still masked for
>> > amd64. mplayer is pretty much worthless without that. I'm probably too
>> > far ahead of the curve running amd64 instead x86.
>>
>> Looks like only a testing mask for amd64.
>> http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=win32codecs
>>
>> The codecs should install just fine with:
>> # echo "media-libs/win32codecs ~amd64" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
>> # emerge win32codecs
>>
>> You may also need to add "win32codecs" to your USE flag settings and
>> re-emerge mplayer to build in the codec support.
>
> Will try this. FYI, win32codecs does not appear in the list of USE
> choices for mplayer!

Here's what I show as options for mplayer from an emerge -pv:

# emerge -pv mplayer
Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_pre8  USE="X aac aalib alsa arts
cdparanoia dts dv dvb dvd dvdread encode esd gif gtk ipv6 jpeg libcaca
live lzo mad mmx mmxext nas nvidia opengl oss png real samba sdl sse
sse2 svga theora truetype unicode v4l vorbis win32codecs xanim xinerama
xmms xv xvid -3dfx -3dnow -3dnowext -bidi -bindist -bl -cpudetection
-custom-cflags -debug -dga -directfb -doc -fbcon -ggi -i8x0 -jack
-joystick -lirc -livecd -matrox -musepack -openal -rtc -speex -tga -v4l2
-x264 -xvmc"

-Ken