[clue-tech] public-key SSH works for one user but not another

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Aug 11 16:16:35 MDT 2006

Jason S. Friedman wrote:
[...]
> debug1: Authentications that can continue:
> publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
> debug1: Next authentication method: publickey
> debug1: Trying private key: /usr/local/apps/informatica/.ssh/identity
> debug1: Offering public key: /usr/local/apps/informatica/.ssh/id_rsa
> debug1: Authentications that can continue:
[...]
> The authorized keys and id_rsa and id_rsa.pub files have all be created in
> the same places, with the same permisssions on folders and files.  Does
> the fact that I SU'd over to user2 make a difference?

Let me guess, user1 and user2 are both using
/usr/local/apps/informatica/.ssh/id* for keys, right?  So user1 owns the
id* files.

Does user2 have permission to read them?  If not, it can't use the
private key.  If so, ssh doesn't like that and won't use the private key.

Private keys aren't meant to be shared between users.  So either make a
copy owned by user2/600 or make a new key for user2 and add it to the
authorized_keys file.