[clue-tech] Gentoo for installfest.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Aug 13 18:02:20 MDT 2006

If you wanted a Gentoo CD to use at installfest, would the 2006.0 live
CD be the one you want?  Does it have GRP packages on it?  Is that the
way to get a complete system without having to hit the Internet.

I'm toying with the idea of setting up a netboot install server, which
means providing an installer initrd and package repository for each
distro.  The Gentoo handbook seems to be a pretty manual process so I'm
wondering what the preferred way of installing it is.

My preference is to have all required packages available in CD images.
That way we can burn CDs for anyone who wants them (or who can't make
netbooting work).  If we have the CDs, I'd like to use them as a network
repository so we don't have to burn disks to use them, or go out to the
Internet.  Granted, depending on the distro the CDs may be a little out
of date.

This looks pretty easy with Debian, Fedora, and SuSE (via OpenSuSE).
Hopefully Gentoo is too.