[clue-tech] DSL (Was: So-called "smart" hosts.)

T. Joseph Carter tjcarter at bluecherry.net
Mon Aug 21 23:24:05 MDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 08:29:37AM -0600, William wrote:
> My total monthly Internet costs come to:
> + Qwest "Choice DSL Deluxe":  $28.00
> + FRII "Residential DSL Plus":  $24.95
> + FRII 8 IPA Subnet:  $9.95
> Total Monthly Internet Cost:  $62.90
>
> My service level amounts to:
> + 1.5Mbps u/d (I'd get more, but my location limits me to ~1.5)
> + Unlimited bandwidth rate and consumption.
> + The aforementioned 8 IPA subnet with RDNS management.

I've been researching a better ISP and slightly more static IP lately.  I
saved the above message because I had a feeling I'd be considering it
seriously rather soon.

I'm at that point, and it sounds fairly reasonable.  I've also been
looking at viawest, which offers 1.5MB/s for $17.95/mo, no setup fee, and
apparently they'd be happy to give me an IP that won't change.  RDNS is
probably not going to happen at that price point, though that's a little
less of a big deal.

Can anyone offer opinions/comparisons?  The difference in price here is
the setup fee and about $17 per month, a 28% price difference for a few
more IPs and RDNS in this age of ubiquitous NAT routers and wider
availability of software that properly operates through them.  If frii had
some other major advantages over viawest that don't show up on the product
pages, it'd make the difference in cost less significant.

Of course, frii suggests that maybe it might be possible for me to maybe
get more than about 1.5 down, but they also call for less than 1.5 up,
which is quite annoying.  I'll believe more than 1.5 when I see it of
course, but that could be the difference right there.