[clue-tech] cannot run konsole or xterm in KDE 3.5

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Mon Aug 28 11:33:52 MDT 2006

Dave Price wrote:
> CLUEful ones ...
>
> I have Gentoo and KDE 3.5 up and running now on an AMD64 - from scratch
>
> I use xinit startkde to get into KDE - seems to come up fine, and most
> apps work, but any console apps - like konsole or xterm refuse to
> start -
>
> The error that is displayed is:
>
> "KDE seems to already be running on this display"
>
> One difference seems to be that there is a "Login" xterm active - if I
> quit that, KDE exits ...
>
> Any suggestions?

If you're going to be using X on this machine regularly I would suggest
using a login manager like kdm to start X for you.

In /etc/rc.conf set:
DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"
XSESSION="kde-3.5.3" (or whatever your KDE version is)

Then:
# rc-update add xdm default

This will bring up the login manager automatically each time you boot.

Then, if for some reason you need to bypass the login manager and access
the console directly you can still do so with "Ctrl + Alt + F1", and
then switch back to your Xsession display with "Ctrl + Alt + F7"

-Ken