[clue-tech] Installfest

Michael S. Farnsworth mfarns at comcast.net
Thu Aug 31 08:19:54 MDT 2006

On Sunday 27 August 2006 17:20, David L. Willson wrote:
> Dave and Jeff,
>
> Thank you for facilitating the Installfest yesterday.  I thoroughly
> enjoyed myself.

Finally back in town and able to add my thanks. A great time to learn a
lot. I will even make the trek up north in November if at all possible.
Thanks to all the experts willing to give up a Saturday! I entered the
door as a hopeless newbie and can say with confidence that I ascended
to the pathetic level in one day. Wouldn't have thought that possible.

Special thanks to Collins for getting me out of not one but two hung
installations on the same hard drive and to Hanni for the wireless
instruction.

In fact, after Collins' excellent tutorial on paritioning, etc., I was
emboldened to add an Ubuntu partition to my SUSE 10.0 system and to try
SUSE 10.1 again on another set of partitions. It seems that 10.1 may
not be as user-friendly to laptops as SUSE has been. After repeated
attemps, the install keeps hanging. And as Hanni discovered in the
hardware db, the 10.1 kernel now has issues with the ADM8211 wireless
chipset. Not sure how that comes about, but 10.1 seems to require
ndiswrapper while 10.0 handles it fine.

So in response to more than one suggestion, I think I'm going to replace
10.1 with Gentoo as my third distro. Here's a question for those who
advocate it...I read in a recent review that most Gentoo users do a lot
of linux tinkering with it but few people use it as their daily
workhorse distro. Any truth to that one? If there are some challenges
to it, so much the better, I guess.

--
Mike Farnsworth
A little less clueless every day