[clue-tech] RAID5

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Dec 13 12:23:44 MST 2006

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 00:17:37 -0700
wt at penguintechs.org (Warren Turkal) wrote:

> On Tuesday 12 December 2006 12:18, David L. Willson wrote:
> > I'd like to do everything hot, if I can.  Does anyone have advice
> > before I begin?

Linux software raid? Recent distro?
If so, then it should be pretty simple:

mdadmin /dev/md0 --remove /dev/whateverdeaddrive
<shutdown and pull drive, put replacement drive in>
mdadmin /dev/md0 --add /dev/replacementdrive

(where md0 is your raid device...)

If you are using a hardware raid, see your bios raid management thing
or the like.

> I don't believe that RAID5s can be resized while hot in Linux.

Not true. You can indeed do so since 2.6.17...

See: http://scotgate.org/?p=107

for example.

> wt

kevin